Zola Jesus

photo by Indra Dunis

Part of the neu goth welle, Zola Jesus is 21yr old Nika Roza Danilova from Wisconsin. Despite her opera training, her voice reminds me more of Siouxsie Sioux's (judging by the picture, she's also been taking down some make-up notes). Some reviewers have compared her to Florence and the Machine and I can kinda see what they're getting at. But (no offence, Florence) I find Zola Jesus a lot more listenable. And I'm a sucker for hot goth girls with nice hair and a fondness for 70s Italian horror films.
She's playing in Glasgow in September with Fever Ray, this is good news indeed.

3 comments:

  1. Diamanda Galas has got to be my fave goth diva. The woman is sick. Got to say though...quite excited by this Zola Jesus character x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diamanda is one of those musicians who, in theory, I should love. But I can't listen to her. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her cover of Gloomy Sunday so hard.....truth be told I prefer her as a human being, she just always looks insanely good- it's the brows and hair that do it. x

    ReplyDelete